React Hooks: Deep Dive.
An advanced React workshop which dives deep into almost all of React built-in hooks and beyond.
Hands on workshop
Topics are covered interactively via
- 1live coding demos 🎓🖥 - in which I'll ask you many questions.
- 2explorative coding tasks 🔭 - in which you'll tinker with code to discover the workings of React hooks.
- 3coding exercises 💻 - in which you'll write and/or refactor code.
This wide range of topics may be covered. Depending on the available time we'll collect the topics from this list which are most relevant to you.
- build a deep understanding of the useState hook
- Learn about the difference between a React component "rendering" vs. browser "rendering"
- Async setting and retrieval of state
- state batching in React 18
- Comparison between legacy class components and function component
- NEW: Communication between parent and child components. Lifting state up - passing data via callbacks vs. passing data via props
- Truly understand the React hooks lifecycle and how it is tied into browser rendering
- Understand the effect of React 18 StrictMode during development
- Understand the prompts of the react-hooks/exhaustive-deps ESLint rule
- Fix useEffect hook depedency array issues
Solve special UI issues with this rarely used hook.
- render-neutral data storage
- Imperative UI state management
- Create hooks with a uniquely defined API
- TypeScript challenges when typing custom hooks
- how to separate UI and business logic via hooks
useEffect and useState hook interplay
for more sophisticated state management
- React.memo is not a silver-bullet
- The role of useCallback hook to reduce component re-renders
- useMemo hook to memoize expensive computations
In combination with React.forwardRef to customize instance values
Some facts regarding my React + React Native experience:
- ⚛️ React + React Native development since December 2015. Choice of technology at the time as CTO of a tech startup.
- Extensive TypeScript experience since 2017 - began using TS together with React when TS didn’t support JSX yet.
- Technology Trainer for React Native/React/TypeScript. Held workshops at clients like Barclays, McKinsey, REWE, DATEV, DMTech among others.
- Speaker and workshop leader for React Native/React/TypeScript at professional conferences (e.g. c't webdev, ReactNext, WeAreDevelopers World Congress)
- Author of React Native open-source bridging modules and open-source contributor, e.g. react-native-kontaktio
- Personal blog: explainprogramming.com